The Forest Grove Schoolhouse was erected after Pleasant Valley subdistrict No. 5 formed in 1873, and the construction and furnishings cost $1,500 (according to the 1882 History of Scott County). All students lived within two miles of the school.
According to Delbert Blunk, who owned the building until his recent death, teachers liked to play outside games with students or go sledding during recess in the wintertime. A favorite of many students was the giant stride. Kids would grab the chains that hung from the pole and race around the pole and launch themselves into the air for a “giant stride” forward.
Click on images to view a historic timeline of photos of Forest Grove School.